[thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the Moon.

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Jul 25 14:48:00 CDT 2002

>>>In fact I'm pretty sure they determined that the sense of smell played a much stronger part in memory than anyone was expecting. <<<

I can attest to this absolutely. During the floods in 1993, our house was filled with water from the Des Moines River - as high as 7 feet in our bedroom, which sits 3 feet lower than the rest of the living quarters. Anytime I smell that river muck/sewer smell today, I think back to the moment when I was first able to walk up my driveway after the water had receeded (as opposed to rowing up in a boat, like we did the first week)...  and being hit with that smell. The smell - was more of a testimony as to the severity of the situation even than the condition of the landscape - which was covered in brown slime - I knew the plants would come back, but how were we gonna get rid of the SMELL?? A few months after we'd rebuilt and moved back in, a friend came over and showed us the video he'd taken of our house that day, and the smell came back to me as vividly as the video images.