[thechat] Europe, take back the web...

Martin Burns martin at evolt.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 09:49:02 CDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Plunkett, Matt wrote:

> It sounded more to me like he wanted the US to be separated from the rest of
> the web, like China is.

Kind of. He wanted national law to apply online as it does offline. That
way no one country can unilaterally impose its laws on any other. Which of
course works both ways - you folks over thar would be somewhat upset if EU
data protection legislation were imposed on all your dealings (ie even
with other US citizens)

>  That way the RIAA DOS attacks and so on wouldn't
> affect anyone else.  The article had a few interesting points, but on the
> whole, I think the guy was just flaming the US for whatever was on his mind
> atm.

No, I don't think so. His main argument was "You're not very good at
legislative regimes which take account of any other tradition (hey, even
your own sometimes), so why do you get to run this thing?"

Cheers
Martin

Also starring in fine email     | "Names, once they are in common use, quickly
productions such as             | become mere sounds, their etymology being
martin at members.evolt.org        | buried, like so many of the earth's marvels,
martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com | beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie