[thechat] Europe, take back the web...

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Mon Aug 12 11:32:01 CDT 2002

It's not a willful misrepresentation to look at what he said rather than
what he meant.  He used all of those items that I mentioned earlier as facts
to support his argument (which you have succinctly summarized below).  If he
had just stuck to the DMCA and so on, his argument would have been more
credible since that actually is a law.  The other items were just potshots
at things that may happen.

The article went in this progression:

Flame 1,
Flame 2,
Flame 3,
"Do we really want these people in charge of the internet?"

It's not like there's a dearth of factual and pertinent information that
would support his argument.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	John Handelaar [mailto:john at evolt.org.uk]
Sent:	Monday, August 12, 2002 11:59 AM
To:	thechat at lists.evolt.org
Subject:	RE: [thechat] Europe, take back the web...

% So I guess his problem is that people in the US could possibly even THINK
% about doing things he doesn't agree with.

Wilful misrepresentation.  His problem is that your
government (all three branches) seeks to impose its
will without its borders.  *If* something as retarded
as the DOS-attack bill gets passed, which isn't
remotely any more stupid than DMCA or CARP, then
he's advocating that the rest of the world take
a fuck-you attitude and start quarantining the US
at a gateway level.