[thechat] Europe, take back the web...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Aug 12 12:38:12 CDT 2002

Adrian wrote:
>clearly he likes the 'net we
>provided for the world, and clearly he wants to slice a part off and
>keep it as his own... kinda like china...

well, he claims Europe is the birthplace of the Web (as opposed to the 'net?)

>Europe is the birthplace of the Web, with a wealthy, technically
>literate population, a network infrastructure that rivals that of
>the US and a rich cultural and political tradition which can counter
>US constitutional imperialism.

the last part of the sentence really blows me away...
"...rich...political...tradition... counter...US... imperialism..."

Why do I get "Heart of Darkness" flashbacks when I read this?
The pot says the kettle is black.

Erika