[thechat] Auto-Restart

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Thu Aug 15 14:22:00 CDT 2002

Hello Everybody,
Last night, when I was reading a humorous column at www.urdupoint.com,
suddenly a very strange thing happened. Entire screen of monitor became
dark. I thought it is some kind of popup ad with black background, still
to be downloaded.
I, unintentionally, turned my face towards CPU. Both removable drives
were being scanned by the PC for any presence of any removable discs.
After 2 or 3 seconds I listened a beep from CPU. It was a familiar
thing. Monitor screen began to show some configuration settings and
other stuff like that. Now I had realized. Computer was restarting
without my consent.
It was a little dramatic for me as it had happened for the first time in
my cyber life. Although, I had listened and read about it but never
noticed as any serious thing.
My machine is running Win 98SE and when all it happened, I was online.
Keeping this under consideration, can somebody tell me why did it
happen? Was my machine too hot?
Or somebody has done it with the help of hacking?
At that time I had 6 windows opened.
My hard disk is too much stuffed so that it has only several hundred MB
free. Does it have anything to with unintentional restart.
Any thoughts about Auto-Restart?
Thank you,
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/