3 chord songs was Re: [thechat] READ AT YOUR OWN RISK: Open Letter to America from a Canadian

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Aug 22 13:29:00 CDT 2002

>The chords?  You mean, all three of them? :)

The Ramones use a lot of "D, G, A"  constructions.  Examples: "I
Wanna Be Well" and "I Want You Around" -- sometimes they'll throw in
an E or a B on the bridge...

But they do use more than 3 chords. "I Wanna Be Sedated" even moves
into a different key.

"Louie, Louie" is a 3 chord song.  And "Wild Thing" is basically the
same song.  But how many covers are there of these songs?  They are
canvases on which you may paint... the 12 bar blues...

a ONE FOUR FIVE!

I *heart* three chord songs.

Two chord songs can be good, too.
"Oh Bondage, Up Yours!"  all C's and D's and D's and C's.

and a sax solo in the middle...

Erika