[thechat] READ AT YOUR OWN RISK: Open Letter to America from a Canadian

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Aug 22 16:28:01 CDT 2002

>>>An Israeli life is worth just as much as a Palestinian.
>>
>>Unfortunately, that has not been a case in real world.

Jerome, thanks for the compliment...

At the risk of speaking for Syed (and I'm sure he will speak for
himself) the way I read the comment was meant to be ironic.

okay in the US, sometimes, when, for example, a non-white kills a
non-white, it taken less seriously in the courts (one could argue)
than when a non-white  kills a white person.

You can look at the way arrests are made and punishments meted out
and conclude that according to those measurements, a white life is
worth "more" than a non-white life...

even though we all know that is morally and ethically
reprehensible... and most would never say it out loud... the prison
(and death row) stats may tell a different story.

I *think* that's what Syed meant.