[thechat] Photography help

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Aug 23 11:33:00 CDT 2002

Madhu wrote:
>See, I want to snap photos of food I make.

trying to snag a girlfriend?

(Americans, you see that TV commercial of the woman who lures her man
home by sending cell-phone picture of dinner... aw.)

>  And I want them to look like the
>ones on Martha Stewart's site ( http://tinyurl.com/14sf ).

wow... those peas are sure glistening wet...

>  Instead, they
>turn out like this: http://madman.weblogs.com/2002/04/11 (scroll past the
>recipe).

I don't know, just guessing... elements you might think about: color
of food vs color of plate and background...

lighting, definitely.  Martha's photographer probably has special
lighting... you might try doing a photo outside in daylight... looks
like you might have a flash firing and your flash is never going to
make it as pretty as natural daylight.

and the angle they use is different... also they're able to focus on
the food and blur the plate slightly... and they are very close to
the food.

but lighting...

not that your photos are poor.
That red curry has got me HUNGRY.