[thechat] hot new pix!!!

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:54:00 CDT 2002

Speaking of Evolution... during the 80's my dad was into Sociobiology
which is controversial for a variety of reasons but at core is really
common sense saying that behaviors may have evolutionary basis, not
just physical characteristics.
http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/sociobiology.html

People freak out about this for various reasons.  But usually they
are based on either misunderstandings or misrepresentation of what
the field is about.  It is hard though, for humans to study
themselves objectively.

Evolution and parenting:

An interesting thing about babies: they almost always start out
looking clearly like their dads.  A few years later, they begin to
look less like their dads, more like their moms, or simply like
themselves.

A recent study shows this (people could identify infants' fathers,
but not the mothers), and my anecdotal experience does as well.

My daughter was born looking almost exactly like her dad.  Not at all
like me.  People regularly assumed she was not my biological child.
They thought I was her teacher, or that she was adopted.

Now she doesn't look so much like him any more. She's much more
individual-looking.

The theory is that it evolution-wise, this is so the fathers will
recognize their own children and so help invest in rearing them.  So
there is no question of paternity.

Erika