[thechat] ADMIN: Downtime will disrupt meo email accounts

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at members.evolt.org
Mon Aug 26 12:52:00 CDT 2002

The cows moooved William Anderson to say:

>> Another effect of this move is that the members.evolt.org server will be unable
>> to handle incoming emails or forward them elsewhere. So if you actively use
>> your members.evolt.org email account, now would be a good time to make
>> alternate arrangements. Otherwise, all emails to you will bounce for about a
>> week.
>
> Clarification required here: if someone sends email to an evolt.org mailing list
> or to a members.evolt.org email address, it *should* get queued at the point of
> origin, e.g. your local mail server or your ISPs smart hosts.  No mail should
> actually get lost.

> you get a flood of email into your
> meo mailbox when the systems come back online.  You may want to suspend mailing
> list accounts just for that purpose, but again no mail sent to your accounts
> should get lost.

But .forwards and things should have been maintained, right?  After wondering why I
hadn't gotten any thechat mails since the move, I discovered today that, in fact,
my meo account was no longer forwarding messages.  I've had other problems with
preference settings having to be set three or four times in squirrelmail before
they 'take', but this had worked for a couple weeks before the move. . .

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \ members.evolt.org/jswiders

"University of Wisconsin statistics department...
          where mean is normal, and deviation standard."