[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 07:21:17 CDT 2002

> > One more time:  you come out with bigoted rubbish, I'll
> challenge it.
>
> I don't object challenges for my opinions from you. Others
> also challenge my opinions and I appreciate them. But in your
> case you not only challenge but also yell rubbish. I think
> it's in your nature. Your way of challenging is aggressive

If one wishes to indulge in debate online, one should attempt
objectivity[0]. An abrupt, concise response is not necessarily rude or
aggressive in the context of a mailing list debate.

> rather than polite. You personally don't present any evidence
> for your opinion and always ask me for one.
>
> >I don't care what race you are.
>
> In our language it is called a *white lie*.

If John tells you that he does not care what race you are, then you must
accept this unless you have evidence to the contrary. An ad hominem
attack on John's honesty holds no value in this context. In fact, you
imply here that you consider that "white"[1] people lie in a different
manner to "non-white" people. This shows that you discriminate between
people of different races, which surely contradicts your expressed views
on racism.

> >I'd think
> > you were just as much of a sexist idiot if you were a white
> >Christian.
>
> I strongly believe in equality of all humans without any
> difference of sex or race. You can think whatever you want.

This is a ridiculous over-simplification. All humans are *not* equal.
The sexes are *not* equal, and different races are *not* equal. Consider
the following statement:

if(var1 == var2) {
	doSomething();
}

If var1 is *not* equal to var2, does this make var1 better or worse than
var2? No, there is no inherent judgement on the worth of either var1 or
var2. Every human *should* be afforded equal opportunities in life, but
this is not the same as every human being equal. A religious zealot is
not equal to an atheist, as the former requires more resources from
society than the latter. Does this make one "better" than the other? Not
at all. Each to their own.

[..]

Regards

Chris Marsh

[0] Unless trolling, which *can* be quite fun at times.
[1] "White" in this context is clearly a political rather than literal
descriptor.