[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 08:11:01 CDT 2002

> > > In our language it is called a *white lie*.
> >
> > If John tells you that he does not care what race you are, then you
> > must accept this unless you have evidence to the contrary. An ad
> > hominem attack on John's honesty holds no value in this context. In
> > fact, you imply here that you consider that "white"[1]
> people lie in a
> > different manner to "non-white" people. This shows that you
> > discriminate between people of different races, which surely
> > contradicts your expressed views on racism.
>
> In our language "soofaid jhoot" can be translted into English
> as "white lie". It is NOT a racial attack. In Urdu "white
> lie" means a lie which has no support and the reality can

Perhaps you should have explained this in the first place. In English a
"white lie" is a small, harmless lie. This is clearly not what you
meant. I am a WASA, thus have no knowledge of whatever language you
refer to as yours. As an aside, you should beware of making direct
translations of idiosyncratic sayings.

> easily be caught. In this phrase "white" refers to light in
> which every thing is clear. "White" does NOT mean a white
> from UK. We call these people "farangy" or "angraize" which
> mean "Englishman".

As I mentioned before, "white" is a political descriptor. Why would
someone from the UK be white? And if you are separating "white" britons
from everyone else, why would you do this if you believe everyone is or
should be equal?
I am not being entirely serious on this point--rather I am illustrating
that it is very easy to see racism and discrimination where there really
is none, merely because one is obsessed with it.

Regards

Chris Marsh