AW: German society (was: AW: [thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Sep 17 07:29:00 CDT 2002

On 17 Sep 2002 at 12:57, Martin Burns posted a message which said:
> > Race issues are worse IMO when you pretend they doesn't exist.
> > Closing your eyes and closing your mouth in special company doesn't
> > make racism go away.  Same with sexism.

> Well yes and no - of course it doesn't remove the sex/racism of the
> individual. But the more that sex/racists feel less free to openly
> espouse their views, the less chance there is of those views continuing
> to be generally acceptable. It has an effect, albeit a longer-term one.

You know, when Joe Racist was legally able to not hire blacks, he had a
smaller labor pool to choose from. These days, there is a larger labor
pool. The laws of supply and demand say that anti-discrimination laws
have reduced his labor costs - and made transferred profitability from
the good guys to the bad guys.

You know, when Joe Racist was legally able to refuse to sell to blacks,
he had fewer customers to draw on. These days, there is a larger pool
of potential customers. The laws of supply and demand say that anti-
discrimination laws have increased his sales - and transferred
profitability from the good guys to the bad guys.

Back in the 1960s, when all those laws were passed, I thought racism
was awful, and there oughta be a law. Boy, was *I* stupid. We have
taken away the economic punishment for racial hatred, and made it
harder for people to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

Today is the 140th anniversary of Antietam. There were 23,000 Americans
who paid a dear price to try to end slavery. On the 11th, they
displayed 3064 flags in memory of those who died at the Pentagon, in
Somerset, and at the World Trade Center a year earlier, and those who
died on the USS Cole. How many flags will they display at Ground Zero
to remember the 23,000 heroes of Sharpsville? None.

I guess stockbrokers who make $300,000 a year are worth mourning, and
starving 13-year-old soldiers trying to do the moral thing aren't.

deke

--
  Do gravediggers qualify for "cost of living" raises?