Friggin' snakes (was Re: [thechat] he ain't heavy, he's my hampsterdance.)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Sep 17 07:46:00 CDT 2002

Hi David,

I'm pretty sure the spurs are vestigial structures ... so you're only going
to find them on "more primitive" or "older model designs" -- like the Boas
and Pythons. The "newer"/"more recently evolved" snakes - like the Ratsnake
family don't really have spurs.

Also - the spurs are on the sides of the snake and don't extend from
the cloaca.

RonL.
(Useless facts?  Like the one about the male snakes storing their male
'pieces-parts' inside out, [Ouch!], inside their tails?)