[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 12:53:01 CDT 2002

> In fact, according to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
> (http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html) it is not a
> privilege it is a right. The clause below is also found in
> the European Convention on Human Rights
> (http://www.echr.coe.int/Convention/webConvenE> NG.pdf), which
> the UK Human Rights Act
> (http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980042.htm) is based
> upon (and uses as it's underlying text). So sorry, Chris,
> it's a right, not a privilege, even in the UK.
>
> "Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and
> religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion
> or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with
> others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or
> belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance."

Freedom of religion is a right. Freedom to practice a religion is a
right. Freedom to manifest a religion is not an absolute right by any
means; it depends how exactly you wish to manifest it. If you are a
Christian and you wish to build a church in my backyard thus blocking
the sun from my property, I will have your planning application refused.
If I decide not to oppose your planning application, then it is a
privilege for you to build your church there at my discretion. This does
not affect your human rights in any way. It is contextual.

My reason for participating in this discussion is not that I am a bigot
and think that people should *not* have equal rights and opportunities.
I believe that this *should* be the case. My views on how we should go
about achieving this differ from some others'.

Regards

Chris Marsh