[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Sep 17 16:29:00 CDT 2002

On 17 Sep 2002 at 13:01, Erika Meyer posted a message which said:
> As for equality, not everyone wants the same thing.  So you may treat
> everyone equally under your set of standards for what equality should
> be... but they may still feel discriminated against because they don't
> want the same things you want.

The local FBI office says that if someone violates the federal
cybercrime laws, they won't bother to investigate unless there is at
least $100,000 damage. The threshold varies from district to district,
and is set by the federal prosecutors in each district.

It's reasonable, I suppose, that the law makes it illegal for the rich
and the poor to sleep under bridges, but why is it punishable to steal
$200,000 from someone who has 10,000 times that much, but not worth
bothering with when someone steals $80,000 from someone who only is
worth $20,000 and owes the other $60,000 to the bank?

deke

--
  Do gravediggers qualify for "cost of living" raises?