[thechat] Arguments for war

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Sep 20 13:22:00 CDT 2002

I'll get this out of the way right now:  George Bush is a stupid fuck
and I wouldn't follow him to a picnic let alone into a foxhole.

That being said, I've actually started to find some reasonably
intelligent analysis that supports the idea of taking out Saddam Hussein
(and going even farther).  I'm pretty anti-war but there are arguments
to made made that sometimes its the best option.

I wanted to pass on a thought provoking piece that I read today
advocating such a position:

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/09/Whoisourenemy.shtml

And Eric S. Raymond follows up on this piece with a bit about
imperialism and cultural genocide:

http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/2002_09_15_armedndangerous_archive.html#81815163

Is cultural genocide called for?  Is there a dangerous meme in
Arabic/Islamic culture that needs to be wiped out?  Is that even possible?

Food for thought.

Judah