[thechat] Arguments for war

Sean G. ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Sat Sep 21 19:46:00 CDT 2002

Howdy

> Please Georgie boy, invade us! Oh, you want a convincing reason? How about
> the fact that India has the largest population of Muslims in the world,
> more than any other country. 100 million plus. There you go...
> now you have
> a "wipe them bastards out" reason.
>
> <voice type="Homer">
> mmmm... Muslims.
> </voice>

Actually that honor belongs to Indonesia.  According to Adherents.com, India
is 4th behind Pakistan and Bangladesh .
<http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_islam.html>

> Bah! The self-righteousness, bigotry, and the "we're the 'leaders' of  the
> free world" attitude is so disgusting.

While you would certainly have no trouble supporting the proposition that
the US of A is no better than any other nation, you cannot rationally argue
it is any worse.  We support Israel, occupied territories, human
rights...yeah, whatever.  Before 1967 the West Bank was under Jordanian
control.  So why isn't that land a Palestinian state?  In fact Jordan
controlled Jerusalem and could of established the Palestinian capitol there.
But they didn't.

When the Hutu and Tutsi were hacking each other up in Rwanda any nation in
the world could of intervened and possible prevented the cold blooded murder
of hundreds of thousands of innocent people.  No African nation did.  No
enlightened Arab nation spoke up.  Your worldly and educated India, another
no-show.

Oh yes, lovely India.  The country of Gandhi.  How nice to know your
countrymen are memorizing the capitols of our states, when they aren't out
burning down mosques.

"The death toll in India's worst religious strife in a decade stood at 415
after police said Hindus stormed the village of Sardarpura and set houses
and shops ablaze by lighting fires near cooking gas containers. Twenty-seven
Muslims died, police officials said on condition of anonymity. "
<http://www.nctimes.net/news/2002/20020303/55736.html>

"Indian forces have burnt down historical Jamia Masjid in Kishtwar, a town
in Doda south of occupied Kashmir. The mosque was gutted in fire during the
intervening night of January 1-2 when the whole town was under curfew.
According to Kashmir Media Service, the gruesome event triggered strong
protest demonstrations and people raised slogans against India and in favour
of Kashmir's liberation. According to eyewitnesses, the Indian forces
prevented fire-fighting trucks from extinguishing the fire. "
<http://indianterrorism.mybravenet.com/islamic%20heritage.htm>

"Angry Hindus set fire to homes in a Muslim neighborhood Thursday and then
kept firefighters away for hours, dragging out one former lawmaker and
burning him alive. At least 58 people died in revenge attacks triggered by a
Muslim assault on a train."
<http://www.southend.wayne.edu/days/mar2002/312002/news/hindu/hindu.html>

Yes, this attack was in response to an earlier attack by a largely Muslim
mob.  Except that mob attacked a train of Hindus on their way to building a
temple on the site of a Mosque that had been burned down.

> Take India in contrast.

Sure, Madhu, lets look at the contrast.  There has been a backlash against
the Muslim community in the US of A since Sept. 11, 2001.  However, all
those stories end in an arrest.  Officials have not turned a blind eye on
such attacks.  Threats against Muslims and Mosques are treating seriously.
I'd say the expressions of support have far out numbered the uglier
incidents.  Certainly you can contrast the current mood with respect to
Muslims and Arabs to the treatment Japanese-Americans experienced during the
1940s.

What has been the official Indian response to these attacks on Muslims?
India has more persecution of Muslims than the US of A, more angry mobs,
more Mosques burned down.  So, in contrast, I'll take the US of A over India
any day of the week.

>Bah! The self-righteousness, bigotry, and the "we're the 'leaders' of  the
> free world" attitude is so disgusting.

Yes, Madhu, your self-righteousness and bigotry is disgusting.  Knowledge
does not bring enlightenment.

Sean G.