[thechat] Arguments for war

Ashok at MagicalKenya.com Ashok at MagicalKenya.com
Sun Sep 22 08:52:00 CDT 2002

>"Sean G."
>When the Hutu and Tutsi were hacking each other up in Rwanda any nation in
>the world could of intervened and possible prevented the cold blooded
murder
>of hundreds of thousands of innocent people.  ....

As a matter of fact, when the UN deliberated to send a stenghtened peace
keeping
force to Rwanda, the Americans decided against taking a leading role in
confronting the slaughter. Instead they made public statements and
did use their very considerable influnence to Discourage a response from
the UN.
(as a result the UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda which could have done
something was reduced to 250 ).

On the other hand a few sheikhs lose their pants in Kuwait & all hell
breaks lose.

Angola is another good example where a megalomanic psycho like the UNITA
leader
jonas savimbi was financed all along by the americans
(UNITA controlled the oil & diamonds in angola - the biggest oil companies
operating
in angola are chevron & texaco...)

You really cannot expect other African countries to physically intervene in
such
scenarios :
- firstly - they dont have the resources
- secondly - they have enough problems of their own
But they do make significant contributions to the UN in peacekeeper roles.

I think you misunderstood what Madhu was trying to say - he was talking
more along
the lines of :
can anyone claim to be a world leader when they dont know where the rest of
the world is, or make statements like 'we are doing this for world
peace...' when
its very obvious to every other nation that its about the $$$.