[thechat] Windows Phone Dialer help required

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 07:55:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Today it's mostly the US wireless networks taking the heat for
> allowing 'walk-by's to pick up signals.

That'll be CDMA and TDMA, rather than GSM or UMTS, right?

> I remember a demo back in the 60's ... the neighborhood geek
> called me from his house and asked me to set my radio to a specific
> FM station and then hang up and call the kid down the street.
> He tapped the line and broadcast our conversation on the radio.

Yeah, ye olde, 1st generation analogue mobile phone network had that
problem here. A few high profile cases of eavesdropping (including members
of the royal family) accellerated the migration to GSM. I think we're 100%
GSM or better now, unlike North America which is still largely based on
older technologies (although many operators such as Cingular are slowly
rolling out GSM, which is why Nokia and Eriksson are kicking Nortel and
(particularly) Lucent's butts).

Cheers
Martin
(who spent some time earlier this year researching the mobile telecoms
equipment provider market, and ain't buying Lucent stock any time soon)