[thechat] Polo Uniforms A Legal Faux Pas

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Thu Sep 26 09:30:02 CDT 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 06:13 PM 26-09-02, Bob Davis wrote:
>> I missed Madhu's post, but I've got to say that it's no different
>> than having to wear a suit and tie. It's a uniform they don't pay
>> for.
>
> Perhaps, but then I can choose which suit and tie to wear. I'm not
> restricted to, say, Armani suits.
>
> If I had to spend $12000 a year on clothes that my employer mandated, I'd
> be worried too.
>
> Here's the original story, Bob:
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/20/national/main522809.shtml

I also heard (this was a few years back), from a friend that worked at the
Gap, that they had to wear current season clothes. So they had to buy a
whole new wardrobe on their minimum wage jobs *every* season.  After all,
people who wear suits usually get more than minimum wage to pay for their
suits. And the discount was only about 10 - 15%. Crazy. It's a bit much to
ask I think. It's part of the reason I never worked retail.

Tara