[thechat] US criticised over Muslim checks

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Wed Oct 2 12:05:00 CDT 2002

<snip>
> It's that I would resent the implication that I, in particular,
> could have something to hide over and above the person next
> to me. If they're going to do security checks, they should
> do them on everyone.

I totally agree. But this is a first step. It won't surprise
me to see all people entering go through some increased check
in the near future. The world is changing.

> (I was horrified in Boston last year, before 9/11, at the
> lack of security both entering and leaving the
> US. I could have carried ANYTHING onto the plane.)

And that's what is slowly getting 'fixed'.

> >If you have nothing to hide, then why would this offend
> >you? I just smile and know that whatever record has just
> >been generated will make it easier for me to get through
> >the same situation again. My 2nd and 3rd times into China
> >were a lot smoother. They looked up my record and knew
> >that I was previously cleared. It's an inconvenience the
> >first time, and although I don't like being held up, I
> >just look at it as a small price to pay for clearing my
> >person into a country.
>
>    That's what entry visas are for.

That still didn't keep China from holding me up at the
border. Until you are seen in person, some flags don't
get triggered.

> It's been fairly well demonstrated that the US is willing to
> arrest citizens of other countries for "crimes" committed
> in other countries, where the actions in question are legal.
> I have no idea of US legal codes, and may routinely break
> US law on a day to day basis.

It's *your* responsibility to know and live within local
laws. I don't understand your first sentence, but yes,
country #1 can arrest a person for committing a crime in
country #2. There are reciprocal agreements between most
countries that allow this.

> >The US is about the most open country in the world.

>    I beg to differ - you haven't gone through the rigmarole
> that entry to the US requires for a non-citizen, and I can
> tell you that even before 9/11, there were more bureaucratic
> hoops to jump through than for entry to Ireland, the UK,
> France, Denmark, Sweden, Finland or Greece.

Think of them in relation to your country as the US thinks
of Mexico and Canada; (semi) border countries. And although
"hoops" were in your way, you *were* able to visit.

> Including some of the rudest officials I've ever encountered,
> although that's obviously going to vary from person to person,
> and may well have been an isolated experience.

:>) I could tell you stories from Spain, Canada, China, Taiwan,
Hong Kong, Japan, Tortola (BVI) and a few more. Some of those
emigration folks are just waiting to find someone to hassle.

And safe travels to all,

Hugh