[thechat] Re: High End Filters for Digital Cameras -- Found

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Oct 8 14:41:01 CDT 2002

Hi Dave,

Thanks - I haven't seen the 4-pack.

I've seen the 3-pack; one UV, one FL, and one polarizer.  From what I've
seen it's generally running about $40 US ... which even at this small
size probably isn't going to be the highest possible quality.

In fact, Steve talks about the Crystal Optics filters here,
http://www.steves-digicams.com/crystaloptics_filters.html
as possibly more 'cost-effective' than the Nikon filters.
(The link at the bottom confirms Quantaray as the manufacturer.}

[I had an old friend who was a Nikon SLR snob.  Whenever I'd start
talking about "doublers" or inexpensive filters - he'd just make a
rude noise and ask why I spent so much money on my damn camera if
I was gonna go and stick a coke bottle over the lens.]

These folks have a pretty neat comparison of a number of different
UV, skylight, and haze filters:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/filter-UV.html

I've mostly used Tiffen and Hoya filters on my SLR and been mostly
pleased with them.  I was thinking about stepping up to a B+W or something