Red-Eye - wuz - RE: [thechat] Re: High End Filters for Digital Cameras -- Found

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Oct 9 12:29:01 CDT 2002

"Luther, Ron" wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> Exactly so!
>
> In portrait flash photography, (taking a picture of a person
> while using your flash), a "straight ahead" flash will often
> reflect back off the subject's retinas and cause their eyes to
> appear to be red in the developed image.
>
> [My understanding is that this is because the retina is ... well,
> it's red.]

yes it's red because it's full of blood

> .... which brings me back to asking if anyone's found an 'inexpensive'
> way to change the flash angle. [I know how to do it the 'right way' -
> and it costs money!]

well, a bit of creativity and a bit of craftsmanship is all you need,
(and loosing the respect for your camera and it's appearance)

you can do 2 things

1.- stick some difussing type of paper right over the flash
(semi-transparent paper), i don't know how you'd call them, here we have
'diamond paper' and 'butter paper', both are popular among architects,
the latter is also used to bake stuff - please let me know what the
proper english name is.

2.- stick some folded piece of tin foil (aluminium) in front of the
flash, find a way to give it an angle so it bounces in the roof and
doesn't hit the subject directly, this sould require inventins some
structure for the angle, my hope is that the scotch tape should be
enough.

i have only tried the first one, but not for the red-eye effect, i've
used it to soften the flash's light

the second one, i've never used it, but it's always been in my head for
whenever i need it. i personally don't use the flash very much. i don't
even have one for my analog camera. my picutres have always used natural
light.

HTH
javier