[thechat] I didn't get the job

Martin Paul Burns martin.p.burns at uk.ibm.com
Tue Oct 15 03:29:00 CDT 2002

>As you can tell from the subject line, I didn't get the job with Amnesty
>International. :-( Oh well. It wasn't a huge surprise. As I told the guys
at
>the beervolt, the interview went well, but they had an insane test which I
>bombed.

Commiserations - not getting jobs always sucks.

>I hate
>London. Well... let me qualify that -- it's nice to visit, but living
there
>would suck for me (I think). It's so expensive and a pain to get around
in.

Yep - I'm in the same mind. I work in London regularly, and quite like
staying there for a few nights at a time, in a hotel close to where I'm
working (so I don't have to put up with the transport), but living there
sucks. Someone once suggested to me that living in London is OK if you earn
more than UKP100k a year, because then most of the bad things don't happen
to you...

>If my husband came with me, he might convince me to move to Scotland
instead
>(he's Scottish). I think I'd like Edinburgh. It's beautiful city too. Or
>Bath.

They're fairly similar in some ways, each with a lovely Georgian new town
(new as in late 18th Century...), and share a similar demographic.

I live in Edinburgh, so obviously I'm biased. You could buy our house (as
we're moving out of town in the Spring).
Cheers
Martin