[thechat] Bali

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Oct 16 16:26:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Quackamoe wrote:

> --- Isaac Forman <isaac at triplezero.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, I think this is the price we
> > (Australia, the western world)
> > are to pay for assumed action against Iraq. These
> > acts are the only way
> > "terrorists" can take on the military might of those
> > who threaten their countries.
> >
> Last night an "analyst" on NPR stated that Osama has
> had it in for Oz because of involvement in peace
> keeping in East Timor. Does make any sense?

I really don't think it was an attack against Oz as anything more than an
the attack was by Osama (fellow travellers, yes). As far as I can see, the
only reason anyone's saying Al Quaeda is because
a) Indonesia's a Muslim country with some extremist groups
b) Bush said so within a stupidly short time, without waiting for any
evidence whatsoever to surface. Even the Indonesians went after evidence
first.

If it were an attack against supporters of America, Australia is some way
down the list. If I'm going to hit young nationals of Bush-supporting
nations, I'd hit Ibiza and Ayia Napa first.

I think much more likely is that it's an attack on Indonesia's primary
source of income, with a local set of goals. My best bet is that it *is*
Islamic fundamentalists - who Osama is no more than cheering on from the
wings - who want Indonesia as an Islamic state.

And for Bush to claim it as even more reason to go after Iraq - the guy's
either fundamentally dishonest, or mentally ill.

Mind you, he did come out with perhaps the first thing I've totally agreed
with in a long time:
"We must challenge and defeat the idea that the wanton killing of
innocents advances any cause or supports any aspirations, and we must call
this despicable act by its rightful name - murder."

That quote may come back to haunt him...

Cheers
Martin