[thechat] Say Hello to Sanjeep, Er, Sam

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Oct 24 06:34:01 CDT 2002

At 04:55 PM 24-10-02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>This supports my Anti-Americanisation views and tells why do we (Asians)
>need to
>retain our cultural values!

It's not "Americanisation". Those people are simply pretending to be
Americans because that's what the job requires. In other words, all they're
doing is putting on a fake accent.

Many American companies find it cheaper to outsource customer support (for
say, credit cards) to Indian companies because of lower labour costs. But
Joe Consumer shouldn't know about it, hence the voice training.

>But one question: Why do Indian call centres aim Americans for selling their
>products?

They're not selling Indian products. If American Express wants to do direct
marketing for their credit cards, they get Indian companies to do it for
them. The Indians speak in fake accents, pretend to be true blue Americans
(with foreign names), and sell American products to Americans.

(Actually, also to UK, Australia, etc., but USA is the biggest market.)

It's just a job, man, not a cultural revolution. ;)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy