[thechat] Say Hello to Sanjeep, Er, Sam

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Fri Oct 25 08:47:03 CDT 2002

isaac wrote:
> > (Actually, also to UK, Australia, etc., but USA is the biggest market.)
>
> I remember getting frustrated with Dell tech support who appeared to be
> based out of Singapore or similar. I have no problem with this happening
> at all, BUT in some cases the accents or broken English made
> communication exceptionally difficult. And when you're discussing
> technical problems and/or legal issues, it can be very troublesome.

I remember having similar problems in my previous life in support with hp
support based out of Holland - I got run around the houses trying to get
support for a DOA DesignJet while I was onsite, and simply wanted to arrange
an engineer to come repair it.

I was seconds away from cursing and swearing at getting put through to the
wrong department *again*, after repeatedly stating "it's NOT a LaserJet,
it's NOT a DeskJet, it's a DesignJet, it's 4 feet tall by 6 feet wide, and
despite the fact it takes the same ink cartridges as the slightly smaller
DeskJets, it's NOT the same thing!", when I eventually gave up and passed
the problem onto my base office's admin staff.

I know a colleague who also had heinous amounts of fun with hp support, this
time in Barcelona, and some atrocious accents on the other end of the
so-called 'premiere' support line ... many shouts of 'que' were had by us
after she hung up the phone for the umpteenth time in disgust!

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like