[thechat] ray

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 09:17:06 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Luther, Ron wrote:

> I found that a lot of shows actually improved with
> the sound muted.
>
> Of course, closed captioning has ruined a lot of
> the fun in it anymore.

Dunno about US captions, but UK subtitles on Teletext are fantastic. You
get a combination of high-comedy, some mis-hearings of the original and
lots of wonderful SFX descriptions (even some ads, including the little
sting which accompanies the Pentium bit stuck onto any ad advertising
Pentium-based machines). You also quite often find out what that bit of
background music is.

It's amazing what you discover when you've a noisy child in the house...

Cheers
Martin