[thechat] rebel without a clause

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 10:42:00 CST 2002

It just struck me that the Web is going backwards.

In the name of accessibility we are taking away an awful lot of the fun.

We're saying no to popups, yes to giving the user control over the
design and layout and generally treading on eggshells to make sure every
web site we build is accessible by anyone, no matter what user agent
they have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm along for the ride, I like the notion of
accessibility but where is it all heading?

Flat text pages with minimal graphics?

Are we taking accessibility too seriously?  Why can't I have large scale
images in new windows, so that the user can have them all on screen at
the same time to compare with the one window full of text that goes with
them?

I'm feeling grouchy today, someone tell me that there are web sites out
there that are "good" in terms of accessibility, browser compatibility
etc and still "good" to look at....

I need to feel that I'm at the leading edge not pulling the brakes on in
like some crazed luddite vainly applying friction to the wheels of the
juggernaut.

Help me!