[thechat] English Language Terms

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Wed Oct 30 00:59:00 CST 2002

Hello Everybody,
Some days ago, Madhu posted a message with subject "Say Hello to Sanjeep, Er,
Sam". It was very interesting and tempting for some serious thoughts. I was
remembering some words and terms which I read in my elementary school English
books and now they have entirely different meanings. In Pakistan, mostly used
English is British. In elementary books, the word "cock" means a male hen. But I
now realize that in America it means something entirely different. This word is
used for the male genital. I have noticed Americans using the word "rooster" for
male hen. Likewise, the word "bitch" was supposed to be used for a female dog
but in real word, this word is being used for a whore.
There are many words of which we have to take care before using because their
meanings can be different for the listener or the reader. What do you think? Do
you know any such words?

Thank you,

Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/