[thechat] rebel without a clause

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 01:36:00 CST 2002

> Lach wrote:
> Ugh. there is *nothing* more annoying than links opening in
> new windows,
> warning or now warning. If I want to compare them all at once then I'm
> perfectly capable of opening those extra windows. If I don't want them
> to open in a new window, who is the designer to force me to?
>
> Windows should never have been allowed to be controlled by authors,
> there's simply no need for it.

So, I have a thumbnail image on a page full of text.

I link the thumbnail to a bigger image. (no tricks just a plain vanilla
link)

I announce that clicking the thumbnail will lead to the downloading of a
larger 600px by 1000px image with a filesize of 500k, if you
rightclick/shift-click-on-a-mac you can get it in a new window.

You click it and you get the image displayed by your browser, you have
to use the back button to get back to the original page.

I know it's accessible, but is it attractive?

I'll go with consensus (and argue with the client that wanted the home
page to spawn a new window for the rest of the site, so people wouldn't
get lost - hah!)

p.s. Sitting in front of a 15" LCD screen with secondary sony trinitron
and soon to have tertiary LCD when I get my matrox triplehead. S'funny
how when you've used dual display its real hard to go back...