[thechat] English Language Terms

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Oct 30 07:03:01 CST 2002

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> Hello Everybody,

Hello Syed

> I have noticed Americans using the word "rooster" for
> male hen. Likewise, the word "bitch" was supposed to be used for a female dog
> but in real word, this word is being used for a whore.
> There are many words of which we have to take care before using because their
> meanings can be different for the listener or the reader. What do you think? Do
> you know any such words?

Many languages have different levels of use, you have the formal use of
language that is taught in classes and presented on books, and the
street language.

Street language normally uses a much smaller vocabulary and ends up
adopting metaphors as a common term. Have you ever seen one of those
female dogs (bitch) walking down the street, followed by a large group
of male dogs? So then people came and started calling whores bitches,
and then it became even more common, and now the call 'bitch' anyone,
wich is still an insult.

In my country this use of metaphors in colloquial language has been
transformed into an art, and in some parts of the city you can't
understand anything they say even if you were raised speaking spanish,
that's the base of the popular newspaper i've mentioned before:
http://lacuarta.cl it is very funny.
}