[thechat] Shipping costs

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Oct 31 03:36:01 CST 2002

At 12:47 PM 31-10-02, Ashok at MagicalKenya.com wrote:
>What is a wok anyway ? Is it a 'kadaai' ?

A kadhai, yes. A bigger, badder version. The average Indian kadhai is made
with aluminium or stainless steel. A Chinese wok is usually made with cast
iron or carbon steel, which makes it fairly heavy. My mother still can't
lift my wok. :)

On the positive side, tossing food in a wok like that gives you pretty
strong shoulders.

Then there are the "non-stick" woks, which should be thrown out of any
kitchen. They can neither be seasoned (which enhances food flavour over
time) nor can they be heated to the high temperatures often required for
Oriental cookery.

My wok looks almost exactly like this: http://tinyurl.com/2c9x
(Of course, it's black from use. "The blacker the wok, the better the cook"
- Old Chinese saying)

>  so I just wait for the cleaning lady to come on the weekend and
>sort it out.

My cleaning lady, despite instructions not to touch my kitchenware, decided
to "help out" one day and started scrubbing my wok. I stopped her just in
time. All the months of painful seasoning would've disappeared in an
instant. A properly seasoned wok should never be washed with detergent. It
provides a natural non-stick surface and needs only some hot water and a
sponge.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy