Woks - wuz RE: [thechat] Shipping costs

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Oct 31 09:36:01 CST 2002

TO: The 'Mad Chef' (Madhu)

In today's "letters from readers", our frient Ron
from Texas writes and asks if there really IS any
difference between "spun" and "hand hammered" woks.

He's been told by other chefs to stay away from
"spun" woks and only use "hand hammered" - but the
true "hand hammered" woks can be so very hard to
find here.

Thanks,

RonL.

{I found one once. It took weeks to get and the
process to acquire it resembled a bad keystone
kops routine ... white guy speaking only English
enters oriental grocery store asking for a
hand-hammered wok ... oriental guys speaking very
little English say "Sure. Sure. Come back next
Tuesday. Next Tuesday" ... white guy leaves ...
oriental guys laugh ... repeat for several weeks ....

I still have my wok spatula, (I was told it was
called a "chen" although I can't find it by that
name on the web), but unfortunately, an ex-wife
has the wok.}