[thechat] the driest spot in the world

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Mon Nov 4 06:56:02 CST 2002

Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

hi Lach:

i was about to ask if you were joking, but then i did a bit of search,
and apparently you're right...

"Atacama Desert
The Atacama Desert of northern Chile is the world's second driest region
(icy Antarctica is first). Although the Tropic of Capricorn passes
through the region, the Atacama lies in the rain shadow of Chile's Coast
Range, which squeezes out the moisture from the atmosphere."

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa102698.htm

....I don't understand it though, since Antartica is all about ice and
snow, how can it be dry?