[thechat] the driest spot in the world

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Tue Nov 5 01:00:00 CST 2002

javier wrote:

> "Antarctica is the coldest, driest, and windiest continent on Earth.
> Antarctica is a desert. Most of the ice that covers Antarctica has been
> there for thousands of years."
>
> Amazing, I never imagined that it didn't snow in Antartica.

Important to keep that word "windiest" in mind, though. There's very little
to slow down the wind, and it picks up a lot of the surface ice crystals
(kinda like snow) and pushes them around. I vaguely remember seeing a kid's
science show (anyone remember "3-2-1 Contact"?) that talked about signs (and
stupid-looking barber poles, and secret military equipment, and such)
getting covered in snow drifts quite rapidly.

But as for real snowflakes falling from clouds in the sky, no, there really
isn't much.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net