[thechat] theregister

seb potter seb at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 7 03:25:49 CST 2002

You probably know the register as a source of less-than-flattering
opinion and commentary on the IT industry, but for those UK evolters
within 3 miles of an aDSL-enabled exchange, they can be something else
as well.

Your best friends.

I got their (rebranded) aDSL product a couple of weeks ago, self-install
for 25 nicker a month, and they had it switched on in 3 days. After a
minor problem with connecting (they forget to turn on my static ip,
fixed in a 3 minute phone call at local rates) I've been up for three
solid days, maxing my connection out with the latest episodes of all
those shows that haven't made it to our less-than-sunny shores yet.

These guys are good. Really good. They give you your own dns zone files
to play with, no restrictions on bandwidth, no blocked ports, 25
mailboxes, list managment, blah blah blah, yackitty schmakkity.

So, I've got my poked.org domain all nicely setup at home (
http://poked.org ), with my mx records pointing to the right place, all
my subdomains up, and everything was updated within about 2 hours, and
propogated within 4.

Oh, their techie guys (at least, the one I spoke to) didn't miss a beat
when I told him I was using linux. He even suggested a couple of changes
to make to my resolv.conf file.

So, if you're looking for a damned fine aDSL supplier, or are due for
renewal soon, give these guys a call.

Seb.

seb potter - seb at poked.org
http://poked.org - It's what you value.