[thechat] US Elections

iris laren4 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 13:55:01 CST 2002

the 'you're either with us or against us' debate...

--- Hugh Blair <hblair at hotfootmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, no problem with that. Criticism is just fine.
> So there
> are three sides: with me, against me, don't give a
> hoot and
> want to stay out of the picture. Make a decision,
> take a stand.
> Even if it is out of the way of those doing
> something.

no, that's not 3 choices.  'either.. or..'  that's 2
choices.  that's the whole point of saying that.  if
it was 3 choices then you wouldn't have to say
'either.. or..' as in 'you're either my friend or your
my enemy'.

but it just so happens that i don't want to be your
enemy.  i'd rather we got on.  but i don't think i
want to be your friend either, especially since you're
threatening me like that.  having only 2 choices makes
me feel rather uncomfortable.

['you' is meant figuratively]

iris

=====