Defining the Parties (was [thechat] US Elections)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Nov 7 15:24:01 CST 2002

I've tried to be fairly comprehensive (and fair), so this is going to be
quite long. . .

> What are the major philosophical, ideological, and policy differences
> between Democrats and Republicans?

Many people will tell you there aren't any.  These are the same people who
said we should vote for Ralph Nader to 'protest' Gore & Bush and 2000, and
are, I think, in substantial part responsible for Bush's 'win' then and the
gains this week.

The following impressions are based mostly on the politicians, who tend to
be a bit more extreme than the majority of the adherents.  As with all
generalisations, they may not apply completely for all members of the
party, but are, well, general.  One of the best sources for information
about individual politicians' stands, which can often vary wildly from the
national party's on specific issues, is Project Vote Smart
(http://www.vote-smart.org)'s National Political Awareness Tests, which
asks candidates what issues and stands they support.  Unfortunately, many
candidates decline to respond.

The Republican party (http://www.rnc.org/) are considered generally both
socially and fiscally conservative.  Many of the more extreme elements
advocate social policy based on Christian religious teachings.  Most are
generally in favor of lowering tax rates, especially progressive taxes
which more greatly affect those with more money to tax, but are also
against so-called 'sin taxes' or 'luxury taxes' on tobacco products,
alcohol, gasoline, and such.  However, they also like to advocate greater
military action, stricter laws and greater punishments for those who break
them.
Republican economic policy tends to follow laissez-faire economics -- a
lifting of restrictions on economic development, and generally letting
business make its own way, will tend to increase development and thus the
general prosperity.
Republican educational policy tends to emphasize 'standards'.  While they
say they favor local control, they also tend to have tried to legislate at
state and higher levels for specific tests (in some places now required to
graduate from school at all, in Michigan they lead to a sticker on your
diploma and the chance at a small scholarship from the state) and certain
curriculum items -- like the teaching of creationism alongside evolution as
a scientific theory.  While my mother (an evolutionary biologist) says it
might be fun to teach creationism and show people just *why* it's been
discredited as a scientific theory, the Kansas State Board of Education
which five or so years ago voted to make such requirement were promptly
laughed out of office.  (Does anyone remember if they were actually
recalled, or just blown away in the next election?)
While Republican President Richard Nixon created the Environmental
Protection Agency and signed the Clean Air and Water Acts, most Republican
(politician)s believe that minimal actual restrictions are the way to go --
for example, that it is in the timber industry's best interest to replant
the trees they cut down, as eventually they won't have anything left to
log.  The current government, which in many respects is more extreme than
most 'mainstream' members, has, as you've probably already read, proposed
allowing drilling for oil, mining, cutting timber, and otherwise expanding
the development of National parklands.

The Democratic Party (http://www.democrats.org/) are considered generally
both socially and fiscally liberal.  Democrats favor equal rights for all
people, and in legislating to ensure it.  Democrats have passed laws
"guaranteeing access to contraceptive care for federal employees" while
Bush reinstated Reagan's "Mexico City Policy", prohibiting the US
government from providing funding to family planning centers in other
countries which support abortion (or, according to one analysis I've read,
even mention it as an option), and have also introduced laws locally and
nationally to prohibit discrimination based on gender and gender identity,
sexual orientation, race, disability, and a multitude of other categories,
in housing, pay, and other services.  Similarly, Democrats have also
historically favoured more open immigration policies.
In appropriations, Democrats tend to emphasize the funding of specific
programs, while Republicans tend to prefer to create large block grants and
let local recipients determine how to divide things.
Education policy has focussed more on creating more conducive learning
environments by rebuilding delapidated school buildings, building more
schools and hiring more teachers to create smaller classrooms, and creating
more open, tolerant schoolhouse environments.

I've missed a lot, but hopefully this gives you at least some idea.  Google
Directory's relevant section is
[http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/North_America/United_States/Society_and_Culture/Politics/],
and Yahoo's is [http://dir.yahoo.com/Government/U_S__Government/Politics/].
See also About.com's section, at [http://uspolitics.about.com/] (pop-up and
*really* annoying flashing banner ad, though...).

(Every time i write one of these, I lose more and more respect for PiCo
(the PINE Composer), not that I had much to begin with. . . .)
Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20 at dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\  www.dangercat.net/?id=mt

a cow is of bovine ilk
one end is moo