[thechat] US Elections

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 16:51:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, aardvark wrote:

> a 'freedom fighter', IMO, shouldn't be blowing up noncombatants
> (women, children, etc.), simply as a method to impart terror on the
> general populace...

Agreed.

On an unrelated note, remind me why the US is insisting that its soldiers
are unique in the world by having immunity from the War Crimes Tribunal?

a 'freedom fighter' should be fighting for freedom
> *from* something, not a goal of inserting his/her own
> worldview/beliefs/etc. onto others who are happy the way they
> are...

"I am fighting against a lack of my of worldview which is of course
entirely correct. By killing these people, I am saving them"

> that fight *from* oppression is tricky, though... i don't think
> we're busy oppressing certain fundamental religions, but then, they
> think we are...

Yep. And in self-defining themselves, their view is the only one which
counts as they're the ones who have to have the faith that they're freedom
fighters...

Cheers
Martin