[thechat] US Elections

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 17:13:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Erika Meyer wrote:

> >At 01:33 AM 08-11-02, Erika Meyer wrote:
> >>what are the major differences between Tony Blair and Margaret Thatcher?
>
> alright you smart-asses, what are the major *ideological* differences?

No, really. I don't think there are many, although Tony does better on the
social inclusion rhetoric. He's worked out that *saying* "We care about
$GROUP" has the same PR benefit to the public at large as actually doing
something about it,
while the corporate donors only understand hard cash.

Labour have explicitly maintained the spending plans of prvious
Conservative governments, and proposed increasingly authoritarian measures
such as removing the right to trial by jury to please the leader writers
of right wing newspapers.

Cheers
Martin