[thechat] House of Lords (was: US Elections)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Nov 7 22:52:00 CST 2002

At 1:47 AM +0000 11/8/02, John Handelaar wrote:
>childcare, then used what can only be described as
>heavy muscle bullying tactics to force the (unelected)
>Lords to not obstruct it.

The House of Lords actually has power that's not merely advisory?
Something had led me to believe they were just honorary posts ...

Trying to answer my own question ... Lord Shawcross was born in
April, 1902? Christ.

So it seems in a way they're similar to the US's Supreme Court? Can
they really prevent legislation from going through?

I'd appreciate a from scratch description,
<http://www.parliament.uk/about_lords/about_lords.cfm> doesn't seem
to say whether or not they have any real power and suggests that some
of them are indeed elected ... until now, I thought they were just a
bunch of old poofters who liked to be listened to in sort of an
honorary fashion. Is it different than that? How?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/