[thechat] Spam Phone Calls

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Sat Nov 16 15:28:00 CST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> Do these Spam Phone Calls really exist in your country (specially USA)?
> If they do then:
> Are the answering machines only remedy of such calls?
> Are there any laws to prevent such calls?
> Can you recognize above mentioned piece of comedy and tell the name of
> performers?

The film is "Telemarketer's vs. the Taliban"
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0,3699,2409960,00.html

See also:
http://www.robrob8.com/pictures/taliban.swf

The "Spam Phone Calls" do exist. Often automated, but not necessarily. The
field is called "Telemarketing" which is part of "Direct Marketing" --

As to remedy, there are mechanisms to opt out, but essentially there's not
much one can do but hang up. I've seen anti-telemarketer scripts, heard
jokes you can play on telemarketers, etc.

	Joe
--
Joe Crawford, web journeyman.  San Diego Calif. USA http://artlung.com/
.............||||||||||||||||| latest thought: http://artlung.com/blog/