[thechat] leonids tonight

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Nov 19 14:01:01 CST 2002

Yup, chemical composition, but magnesium instead of copper:
<http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/meteor.html>

 From downtown Minneapolis, I saw 12 very bright ones and a few very
faint ones between 4:08 and 4:26. It was nothing compared to last
year, when I saw six or seven in the time it too to leisurely walk 30
yards on the same block. Some friends and I had travelled out of town
to the cornfields that year  ... it was awesome, impossible to keep
track of how many I saw; definitely well into the thousands.

>  > My wife, my son, and I were out in the backyard from
>>  2:20am to 3am PST and we counted 117. A lovely
>>  alternative to sleep! There were several largish firey
>>  ones and the, uh, contrails were distinctly green.
>>  Why?
>
>I am not a scientist, but my basic chemistry suggests that they probably
>had high copper content, which tends towards green when burning or
>oxidising.
>
>anyone think that sounds possible?
>
>But hey, you saw 117! I saw zilch, due to very heavy fog - same again
>tonight.
>
>I'm gonna relocate to a better country!

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272