[thechat] Surrey

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 03:32:01 CST 2002

On 19 Nov 2002, John Handelaar wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 20:11, Quackamoe wrote:
> > At the beginning of Harry and the Secret Chamber Pot
> > there's a long shot of the area surrounding Privet
> > Lane
> > and I was wondering if that was what it really looks
> > like, meaning the density of houses. If I ever get
>
> Yeah, that's pretty much what Suburbia looks like
> around London.  Which is why no right-thinking Londoner
> wants to leave town :-)
>
> There are far less built-up areas as well, but that's
> what most towns in the South-East look like for huge
> swathes of space.  [Actually that particular shot was
> of quite a large estate - *could* have been in Surrey
> but if it was, it was somewhere large like Guildford).

Doesn't the metropolis extend down into Surrey?

Also of note: the exterior shot of "Kings Cross" appeared to be St
Pancras, which is *much* better looking (KX is a bit of a toilet from the
outside). Trivia corner - St Pancras has the largest single span arch
supporting a station anywhere, and it's held together by being tied
together under the tracks.

The chances of being able to get from London to the Glenfinnan viaduct in
daylight are also pretty slim...

Cheers
Martin