[thechat] Surrey

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 04:22:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Andy Warwick wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 09:30 AM, Martin Burns wrote:
>
> > The chances of being able to get from London to the Glenfinnan viaduct
> > in
> > daylight are also pretty slim...
>
> Reminds me of the classic line in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, when
> Kevin Costner comes ashore at the white cliffs of Dover and says
> something like "We shall be in my father's house before nightfall"
> (meaning Nottingham, about 180 miles away),

Which in itself would have been the best part of a week's travel on
horseback, let alone on foot.

Unless he meant Huntingdon, but that makes Hadrian's Wall even more
improbable, and would still have been a couple of days away.

Honestly, the next thing we'll be expecting is for Braveheart to have
included the entire point of the Battle of Stirling Bridge (ie, control of
the bridge which was the main point of crossing between both North and
South, and East & West in Scotland at the time).

> And Nottingham Castle isn't any castle I recognise...

"Camelot!"
"Camelot!"
"Camelot!"
"It's only a model"