[thechat] The Sociology of Fanaticism

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Nov 20 14:08:01 CST 2002

Hi Ken,

I have to agree with "E".

There may well be unintended effects of some kinds of
fanatacism that might _appear_ to be 'positive'. e.g.
Suppose someone was 'fanatical' about road repair and
endlessly badgered the local government about repairing
potholes and the like -- this may well have the
unintended side effect of causing more expeditious repair
of hazardous road conditions. I say 'unintentional'
because I would still view the individual's 'fanatical
obsession' with road repair as "unhealthy" and more
'control oriented' than a public service ... even if
it resulted in a smoother ride to work for me.

Sorry - I just don't see it as a good thing.

I think sports is often used as an example.  Some young
player may become 'fanatical' about improving their game.
Let's say they succeed and become the next 'Michael Jordan'.
So what? While I might find their 'performance' on the court
entertaining, I would still probably think it sad that their
life is so one-dimensional, so focused and concentrated
on (what I view as) such a small thing.

RonL.