[thechat] santa question - quickie

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Nov 25 16:29:01 CST 2002

"The American image of Santa Claus was further elaborated by illustrator
Thomas Nast, who
depicted a rotund Santa for Christmas issues of Harper's magazine from
the 1860s to the 1880s.
Nast added such details as Santa's workshop at the North Pole and
Santa's list of the good and
bad children of the world. A human-sized version of Santa Claus, rather
than the elf of Moore's
poem, was depicted in a series of illustrations for Coca-Cola
advertisements introduced in 1931.
In modern versions of the Santa Claus legend, only his toy-shop workers
are elves. Rudolph, the
ninth reindeer, with a red and shiny nose, was invented in 1939 by an
advertising writer for the
Montgomery Ward Company."

From:
http://www.the-north-pole.com/history/