[thechat] The youth today... [WAS: santa question - quickie]

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 12:43:01 CST 2002

> maybe there wouldn't be such a problem with dominant culture
> if they weren't at war with their own children.

What an intriguing comment. I'd be interested in an expansion on this.

Although my comment (quoted below) was facetious in nature, it reflects
a serious belief in the viability of corporal punishment. The delinquent
youth I was thinking of was that of the UK. There seems to be no method
of punishment for minors in Britain, which really leaves it up to the
individual to monitor their own actions. This seems insane to me, given
that most minors are delinquent by nature, and need to learn values and
ethics that will allow them to progress successfully through life. When
I was a nipper, we were caned or slippered (depending on the crime) at
school. Neither of these were ever delivered in anger, but in a measured
manner designed to teach a lesson. You know what? It worked. There was
discipline and respect; and whilst we all got up to high jinks, there
was little to no serious bullying or selfish crimes against society.

> delinquent till I die,

There is a big difference between objective rebellion and delinquency. I
would prefer to say that I will be free until I die; even rebellious,
rather that simply delinquent with no further qualification.

> >maybe there wouldn't be such a problem with the delinquent youth if
> >Nick and Pete had stuck to their guns on corporal punishment...

Regards

Chris Marsh